Answer the following in your notebooks. You must write the question above your answer or answer the question in a complete sentence when applicable.
1. What is a covalent bond?
2. Slide 2: What happens when you move the two atoms close to each other?
What happens to the electrons when they get closer to the other atom?
What happens when you try to pull the atoms apart slowly? What happens when you do it quickly?
3. Slide 4-9 What creates situation that sticks the two nuclei together?
4. What atoms tend to form covalent bonds? (Slide 11)
What atoms don't form covalent bonds? Why?
5. Slide 15 Draw the graph of potential energy as you move the atoms closer. Label the x and y axis. X axis would be distance of atoms.
6. What determines the bond length? Where on the graph is this? Draw an arrow
7. What is the most stable state of an atom?
8. Is lower energy more stable?
9. Draw a picture shorthand of H2 Draw a picture of H2O. Label the covalent bonds
10. In order from weakest to strongest covalent bonds draw a covalent, double covalent, and triple covalent bond.
11. How many electrons does a triple covalent bond fight over?
12. Match the chemical formulas with the appropriate names in the pictures below. write them in your note book.