Do the following online activity: http://hawaii.pbslearningmedia.org/asset/lsps07_int_ionicbonding/
1. What is an Ionic Bond? Draw an example
2. What happens as you try to put the two anions (negatively charged ions) together?
3. What happens as you slowly move the oppositely charged ions (cation +, anion -) together?
4. Which atoms in the periodic table tend to form cations? (you can be general in your answer)
5. Which atoms in the periodic table tend to form anions? (you can be general in your answer)
6. What is the ratio of Na cations to Cl anions in a salt crystal?
7. How many Calcium Ions and How many Fluoride ions are in calcium fluoride?
8. What is the ratio?
9. Why do ionic bonds form?
10. What does electronegativity mean?
11. How does the difference in electronegativity determine if a bond is covalent, polar covalent, and ionic?