Create a chronological illustrated narrative about Flint Michigan’s water crisis tracing events as they unfolded. Include any events that contaminated Hawaii's water whether ocean water or drinking water.
Erin Brockovich on Flint
1. Geography: Illustrate map showing location of Flint Michigan
2. Demographics: Chart population analysis in relation to economy, government assistance, employment, etc.
3. Trace Flint’s water source for many years-Where did it come from? Was there periodic checking for contaminants? Had there ever been a reason to check for contaminants? How often does the EPA run tests? Does the agency have to have a reason?
4. What was the reason behind the change in the water system? Who knew about it? What channels need to be considered before such a decision can be made?
5. Who were the “whistle blowers?” What were the first indicators that something was wrong? At what time was the EPA notified? What would the EPA have to do once proven that a problem exists?
What was the first step in testing? How is it done? Who does it? Who gets the results?
6. What did they find when first tested? What was initially done? Was there an increase in the lead levels over time? What were the numbers? Create a chart over time showing results of testing.
7. Why was there a cover-up? Who was involved? What happened to these people? What did the people of Flint want done to these people who were responsible? (Research news articles)
8. Flint today: How was the situation solved? What was done to make water safe for these people? How many people/children have been affected? How are these people being compensated?
9. How was the body affected? Illustrate how lead enters the body and what it does to each organ.
10. Has there ever been a time when Maui’s water was compromised? Research
11. Write a letter to the EPA, the Governor, and the President for the people of Flint.
12. What does it mean when there are so many “parts” of toxins in water? Is there any safe levels? How do you get rid of lead once it is present?
13. What are other toxins that may be in drinking water? What are their sources?