| || |
I hope your break went well and I look forward to seeing all of you on Friday.
This virtual assignment is due on Friday and will help guide our discussion during class. Please answer all of the following and upload it through the homework submission/google forms site that pertains to your class period. If you go to the main page of biology you will find the google form link. If you also hover your mouse over biology, you will find the google form link. Make sure if you are in period one that you submit your homework via period one.
Here are the links if those instructions are too confusing.
Period 1: http://mrfitzkcs.weebly.com/submit-period-1-biology-homework.html
Period 4: http://mrfitzkcs.weebly.com/submit-period-4-biology-homework.html
Period 5: http://mrfitzkcs.weebly.com/biology-homework-entry-period-5.html
You will get no credit if it is not uploaded in the proper format.
Bring drawings of Mitosis and Meiosis to class on Friday for an additional 10 pts.
1. Who is Charles Darwin and What Theory did he Propose?
2. Who is Russel Wallace and what did he propose?
3. What ship did Charles Darwin Sail on? What book did he publish in 1852 that lays out the evidence of his theory of evolution by natural selection?
4. Requirements for Natural Selection:
1. Phenotypic variation must exist among individuals in a population.
-What does this mean and why is it important for a population to evolve? Provide an example
2. Variation among individuals must result in differences in the number of offspring surviving in the next
generation. What is fitness and give an example of how some individuals of a given species are more
fit. Example: White and Black Peppered Moth show how fitness of an individual can change and be higher
for certain characteristics. During the onset of the industrial revolution in England trees were covered in
black soot and allowed the black pepper moth to survive while the birds ate the white peppered moth
because they stood out.
3. Phenotypic variation must have a genetic basis.
-What is the difference between a genotype and phenotype?
4. Where does genetic variation come from?
5. What is the genetic material found in all living things?
-What is a gene?
-What is an allele?
Mitosis and Meiosis
Last quarter we studied the cell. Now we must look at how they reproduce. Draw the various stages of mitosis (Prophase, Prometaphase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, Cytokinesis, and Interphase) and draw the stages of meiosis (Prophase I, Metaphase I, Anaphase I, Telophase I, Prophase II, Metaphase II, Anaphase II, Telophase II), Cytokenesis). What is the difference?
-What is haploid and what is diploid?
See you on Friday.